1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Corals have the genes to adapt to warmer oceans

Discussion in 'Coral Propagation and Aquaculture' started by braincoral, Jul 3, 2015.

1. braincoral

braincoral
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

12%
  2. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    Wa! No need chiller in the future liao maybe Lololololol!

3. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

9%
    I am not going to take my chances. I still find higher sps survival rates of control temperature below 28 degc.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

4. chriscoral

chriscoral
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

50%
    Then why do they attribute reef bleaching to global warming?

5. Kishore

Kishore
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

34%
    Bleaching of corals has Many reasons not just temp. Temp Raise is just one reason that’s effecting Corlas in conjunction to increased UV, pollutants, and also Low nutrients due to absence of fish because of some of above reasons etc.

In SEA temps are much higher in ocean than Australian reefs and corals are still able to thrive, one reasons could be they are getting enough nutrients in the murky waters with plenty of vegetation and right about of lighting unlike some parts of Australia where bleaching is prominent.

I had sps surviving and growing at high nutrients of 50 and without chiller at fluctuating aircon temps, yes they may not Color up well but still they survive and never bleached.

When I lowered my nutrients to almost less than 5 with slight changes in water stability they got into RTN and STN in few weeks. ( RTN& STN is debatable but eat the end it’s loss of coral for some reason that Aussie sps might also been facing )

Hope this helps you to understand some reasons for coral bleaching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Kishore, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    James72 likes this.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)