1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Do not mix other bacteria media when using the Zeovit system

Discussion in 'Zeovit® System' started by honkit, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    I have come across several instances whereby reefers are using a hybrid system of the Zeovit method with other bacteria media such as Bacteria King, Siporax and others.

All have reported negative results.

Thus, please stick to the PROVEN Zeovit method only without mixing and matching with non-compatible systems.

2. imadreamseeker

imadreamseeker
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias

76%
    Oh no . Been using bacteria king with zeovit . What are the negative effect I expect to see

3. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    Reports of poor coloration and bleaching. Inconsistent growth with some SPS corals having good growth and others with poor if not non-existent growth.

The zeovit system was formulated to remove all the guesswork from cultivating a great looking SPS garden in your reef tank. There is no need to mix and match other bacteria housing media with it.

4. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    Zeovit is a complete system i would say. Has everything Lololololol

CheinSiong likes this.
  5. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    But in reef tanks, such bacteria media (assuming no additives like bacteria spores or bacteria food are coated on them) perform the same task as live rock. Zeovit doesn't control or limit the amount or type of live rock you have in your system. Why would using bacteria media conflict with the zeovit system but using live rock not conflict? How about those using fake live rock like Caribsea or Aquaroche, which is in fact similar to ceramic bacteria media in composition?

James72 and Arreef like this.
  6. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    Live rocks do not have the same composition as artificial bacteria media. Rather, probiotic companies like KZ and Fauna Marin proposes the use of live rocks over artificial rocks for better results.

7. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    They do not have the same composition but they serve the same purpose to colonize bacteria. The only effective difference between them is that live rock slowly dissolves over time if pH is low. You mentioned anecdotal evidence to support your claim, but there is no scientific or logical substantiation. Don't just follow blindly :)

8. braincoral

braincoral
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

12%
    So if mix with siporax..
    Will causes stn..?

9. Quas111

Quas111
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

58%
    Live rock will only dissolve when the ph drops way below 6.5. By that time everything in your tank would have been dead already lolololol.

The effective difference imo is the higher presence of micro fauna cleaning up the pores as well as building new ones, versue non changing artificial media. I also believe that the variations in pore structure allows both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria to live in the rocks, vs artificial media which allows a lot of water to pass through its pore network which only allows aerobic bacteria to grow.

SimonLSB likes this.
  10. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    Perhaps with the use of these biomedia, nutrient drop way too low which results in poor coloration

11. Tamama

Tamama
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias
    DTOTQ

20%
    Damn! I doing it all wrong. I removed all my liverocks in my sump and kept all the bacteria king and siporax. I removed 80% of AIO biopellets. I increased feedback from 1 to 2 times a day. SPS colour seems to deepen. Lets see... I will slowly change bit by bit to experiment.

12. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

9%
    It might just be that particular made of bacteria housing causing the problems.

What illumnae says make perfect sense. A bacteria house functions like any live rocks.

Majority of Zeovit tank all look pale or colourless. Ever wonder why?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

13. Tamama

Tamama
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias
    DTOTQ

20%
    Nutrient too low.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

14. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    In reality, reefing is all about anecdotes.

Why are you accusing me of following blindly? I have had some years of experience on using both the zeovit and fauna marin systems with success and I don't need YOUR smart *** comment telling me what I am doing is WRONG!

What is the composition of bacteria king? What is its effect on a zeovit system? Does it affect the water chemistry by leaching substances that a pure zeovit system cannot take it?

If you don't believe me, ask the folks at the zeovit forum. They do not advise usage of other bacteria housing media.

15. Tamama

Tamama
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias
    DTOTQ

20%
    Oh no... I have so many bacteria media.

16. Tamama

Tamama
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias
    DTOTQ

20%
    [​IMG]

I think I am the one who anyhow try things.

17. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Why so defensive? You make a claim on a public forum, be prepared to support it logically. Just because you've had more years of reefing experience you're always right? Reefing is not all about anecdotes. Everything is based on solid scientific fact as well. I'm open to accepting advice from senior reefers, but of course experience must stand up to basic scrutiny and not just wild claims. I think the points raised by Quas111, ydkm and James make sense and are worth looking into!

18. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    Let me clarify - my opinion on not wanting to mix bacteria media is only pertaining to the zeovit system. It could still work in other systems such as hybrid Berlin method.

19. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    But what's the reason behind it? Other than anecdotes, does anyone know the cause of this incompatibility?

20. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    I have never claimed I am always in the right. Hence, don't put words into my mouth when I have never stated such a thing!!!!!

The science of reefing in the zeovit system has been done in the company's labs and experimental tanks before they release their products. I have already stated a reason why mixing of bacteria media is not encouraged in my earlier post i.e. possible leaching of certain elements in a pure zeovit system,

Reefing is about observations and I clearly stated what I saw regarding zeovit tanks with hybrid systems.

If you think I am making a wild claim, feel free to ignore it. Just don't tell me that I follow things blindly like some bloody neophyte!

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.