1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef

Discussion in 'Marine Reef Journals' started by EvolutionZ, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    Hey fellas, my first post here, and also my first tank thread. This used to be a SPS dominated tank but turn upside down the moment i was enlisted to serve my country. i wasn't there to maintain the tank and had to rely on my dad to dose my zeovit and FM additives and its pretty complicated and at times he dose certain stuff wrongly. Things went really bad to a point SPS started to die one by one and algae were taking over the tank at a rate that i cannot imagine. I was at the verge of giving up this hobby and had thoughts of selling everything away and only to start again after my NS. My dad adviced me to quit SPS and why not just maintain a simple FOWLR, mentioning he enjoy feeding my fishes and wished i'd keep the tank.

At that point of time, i noticed for the past couple years i've been in this hobby. i seldom or almost do not keep any LPS and soft corals(execpt for duncans, i love duncans) at all! so i decided to try out something new, a LPS dominated tank with some soft corals and zoas.

sadly, i did not take any photo of my tank at its worst peak, but hair algae, diatoms and cyano was almost literally everywhere on the rocks. to a point that i cannot see the coralline on the rocks. After selling all of my LPS away, i did a major scrubbing on the rocks and changed out 30% of my water. siphoned the sand's top layer, washed and dried them. i then determined that the reason for the amount of algae was probably due to the rocks releasing phosphates and combining with the fact that i had only ~12kg of LR in the system (50% of which are tonga, and tongas are not porous at all). Probably there was too much nutrients and too little biological area to build up bacteria(i do have 10 cubes of marine pure blocks and 300g of biohome plus which i thought was enough).

After the massive clean up, i went to purchase small live rocks from ah beng (too small to have pest i believe) that were probably cured and full of good bacteria. over a couple of weeks, i bought a total of 7-8kg and added them into my sump. i also added cheato to my system for nutrients export. This picture was taken 1-2 weeks after the massive clean up. things were getting better and i continue to diligently do 10% WC weekly and scrub every spot of the rock possible. i also started to stock up on cheap LPS to test them out.

[​IMG]

Then things got better after adding the Live rocks and chaeto, Hair algae stopped growing almost entirely, a strand like brown algae stopped plagueing my whole tank and started to infest the chaeto. But blue-green, red and brown cyano continues to thrive. i also started running Fauna Marine Ultra phos in a bubble magus reactor. At this point of time, nitrate was tested to be 2ppm. For the entire 6 months or so since i started this tank, after cycling, i've never seen any color at all in my salifert test result (meaning its 0ppm). and finally for the first time, im seeing slight pink! which probably brings more balance and stability to the system.

And today, about a month after the massive clean up. Things were looking good. i started to dose Microbe-lift Special blend as a counter for cyano (almost result to using chemiclean cyano cleaner). Hopefully it'll work like how it worked for many.

i've also stocked up on more LPS (mainly hammers) and currently too much green in my tank! LPS can be really expensive if you're look for special colors..

Here's some LPS pictures taken moments ago

hammer

[​IMG]

baby hammer

[​IMG]

im guessing lobo?

[​IMG]

purple tip elegance, apparently this fella dosn't expand as big as it's pink-tip cousins, and maintains its striking green even after expanding!

[​IMG]

golden torch!

[​IMG]

my first ever soft coral, a green toadstool coral. and a couple yumas

[​IMG]

James72 likes this.
  2. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    duncans
    [​IMG]

brain and red lobo, will be slowly filling up the sand bed with more lobo and brain corals!
    [​IMG]

my lovely clam
    [​IMG]

a really nice RBTA bought from a reefer, but decided to split into 2 one week later
    [​IMG]

My sump was infested by nasty thick algae and currently, looks way cleaner and better despite having 7-8 kg of rocks (mostly in the return pump compartment), im also seeing lots of pods growing and mushrooms and xenia poping out of the small rocks i bought from ah beng! i also added 300g of Sera Siphora Mini today.
    [​IMG]

Don't be fooled by the clean sand bed thinking im algae-free now. im still fighting brown strand-like cyano and blue-green cyano (red are gone now). i siphoned the top layer of cyano away and replaced with clean dry sand for this photo shoot today.

FTS, will be filling up the front portion of the scape with zoas and acans
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now, and i'll be updating the fight against cyano with the help of special blend, wish me luck!

Thanks for viewing!

Ward Ward and Justin Tay like this.
  3. Damian

Damian
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

16%
    wow... massive change from sps to lps. keke.

4. P.O.T.O

P.O.T.O
    Expand Collapse
    Flame Hawk

90%
    Bro still looking good bro. Awaiting your return to the sps world haha.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Admiraltian

Admiraltian
    Expand Collapse
    Goldflake Angel

26%
    Bro, Gd luck in ur fight against cyano & other algae.

6. kinarato

kinarato
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

88%
    Yr hammer coral super nice.. love hammer/ anchor...

7. Lubricant

Lubricant
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish
    DTOTQ

34%
    Bro.. you confirm no problem with your atas knowledge of corals. Look following to your lps dominated tank

8. acidjc

acidjc
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

62%
    Bro Evolution, u damn power.. Fresh water guru now salt water also power.
    Saw in your other thrrad that u using zeovit basic 4 but not using zeolite stone. Can share which zeovit should be the basic need if anyone want to start a zeovit system. There so many zeovit dose and I read until blur.

9. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    Yeap! Previously had little interest in LPS, turns out they can be quite beautiful too!
    Thanks bro, will definitely come back in future!

Thanks bro!
    thanks! They are really beautiful! too bad they are usually just green color
    Going to LPS is kinda like a restart for me leh.. need to learn more things to make sure they do well!

Thanks bro! Freshwater long time no touch liao hahaha... i used zeovit bio-mate, zeobak, sponge power and coral vitalizer as my basic 4. indeed they can be confusing at times..

10. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    Something i missed out for my first post :

tank specs:

Tank size : 90x45x45 10mm Front crystal with Bean animal C2C Overflow made by CRA.
    Sump tank : 60x40x45 6mm 2 compartment
    Skimmer : Bubble Magus Curve 7
    Lighting : Maxspect Razor 160w 16k
    Return pump : Jebao DC 9000
    Chiller : Hailea HS-66a
    Substrate : CaribSea Fiji Pink 40lb
    Wavemaker : Maxspect Gyre XF-130

Fish List:
    1x True perc
    1x Algae blenny
    1x Yellow tang
    1x Carpenter's Flasher wrasse
    1x Melenurus wrasse

11. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    1x mandarin
    2x red spot cardinal
    1x firefish
    1x midas blenny
    2x blue eye anthias
    1x fang blenny
    1x cleaner wrasse.

quite alot of fishes for a 50-60g tank! But thanks to my scape they do have plenty of swimming space.

12. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

4%
    Lps tank can be just as colourful and stunning. Bring back your glory bro !

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

13. Ah Chris

Ah Chris
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

10%
    Wah major changes since my last visit. Lps and zoas also very swee.

14. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    Indeed bro! thanks!

15. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    Just after a single dose of special blend, i came back from this weekend to a shocking view. There was almost no new algae growth! The tank remained how it looked like when i left the week before. Corals are opening up much better too! Amazing..

Hammers are opening bigger den before

[​IMG]

this soft coral i bought from ah beng main tank 2 weeks ago was closed all the way, till i added the special blend

[​IMG]

golden cloves from a stable reefer tank remained closed for 1 week too, now its fully opened

[​IMG]

RBTA opened beautifully too

[​IMG]

This discarded Lobo are turning more orange! so glad i decided to take it even though its almost colorless

[​IMG]

Now, on the previous update i didn't show any zoas as they were still recovering from a very bad green slime algae attack, every single frag was hit real bad.. most other melted away unfortunately.. They were starting to open slowly after i did the mess clean up. However, after last week's special blend dose, i came home to a shocking view.. most of the polyps are opened! colors of the frags were bad because they were closed for months!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new clam!

[​IMG]

feeding my lps..

[​IMG]

the only SPS in my tank currently..

[​IMG]

James72 likes this.
  16. EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ
    Expand Collapse
    Carberryi Anthias

34%
    top view.. i cant believe my sand bed remained white!
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now!

Ward Ward and James72 like this.
  17. Damian

Damian
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

16%
    bro awesome update! care to share wat special blend(izit the basic 4 u mentioned?) i'm fighting green n red slime algae currently... such a headache!

18. Hideaki

Hideaki
    Expand Collapse
    Regal Angel

45%
    Bro, your radioactive birdnest is very lonely! He needs some SPS companions. Lol

19. Bunster

Bunster
    Expand Collapse
    Queen Angelfish

23%
    very nice collection of lps bro!

20. Admiraltian

Admiraltian
    Expand Collapse
    Goldflake Angel

26%
    Bro, I think bro Evolutionz is referring to special blend bacteria by this brand called microbe-lift.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.