1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Fauna Marin Ultralith system vs Zeolight system

Discussion in 'Fauna Marin™ System' started by illumnae, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. honkit

honkit
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    I believe both products have major overlaps but not identical. It's suggested to do half dosages for each of these products when starting out.

2. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Hi Vinny,

I've been using the Ultralith system for about 2 and a half months, and am ready to start adding more FM products to my tank. I would like to start on Reef Vitality, Colour Elements (3 bottles), Ultra Life and Ultra Amin. For Reef Vitality and Colour Elements, would you recommend that I follow the Zeolight system of once every 4 days for each product (alternating 2 days each) or would you recommend that I follow the once per week instructions on the bottle. Also, should I reduce any of my Ultralith system products when I start dosing these 2 products (I found a post on Ultimate Reef where Claude recommended maintaining Ultra Bio dosage, but cutting Ultramin S and Ultrabak by 50%, but this is a post from a few years ago)? For Ultra Amin and Ultra Life, it's ok to just start using these 2 products in conjunction with Ultralith, RV and Colour elements as per bottle instructions?

In future when my Ultralith components are starting to run out, what would be your recommended way to transition to Zeolight, keeping in mind that by that point I would already be dosing RV and Colour Elements as per your recommendation above (meaning that the switch would only involve stopping Ultra Bak and Ultra Bio, and tweaking the dosages from what you recommend above to what is recommended in the Zeolight manual). At that point, what bacteria product should I be replacing Ultra Bak with, since you have 3 new bacteria products released?

Thanks in advance!

3. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    Hi illumnae,

When you're ready to add Reef Vitality and Color Elements, please do follow the instructions on the Zeolight manual. That way, when you switch over, it's one less change to make to your dosing regimen. UltraLife and UltraAmin can be dosed normally. You can still follow his recommendation and reduce MinS and Bak by 50%.

Once you've run out of UltraLith products or you're just ready to make the switch, you can continue to dose the same amount of RV and CE. The dosage for UltraMin S can either remain the unchanged or adjusted to match the recommendations on our manual. Since every tank is different, maybe you'll have to make some adjustments. The bacteria replacement or method for nutrient reduction would be replaced by RV and CB.

Our other bacteria products, Bakto Blend and Therapie are not required in the Zeolight system. These kind of products will deal more with solving other kinds of tank issues such as too much detritus or waste from heavy fish feeding.

youdontknowme likes this.
  4. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Hi Vinny, thanks for the explanation. Just to make sure that I understand the implications correctly, what this actually means is that I'll be immediately converting to zeolight plus ultra bak and ultra bio? Zeolight comprises RV, Colour Elements, Ultra Min S (once every 2 days instead of daily), Ultra Lith and Ultra Carb. If I halve Ultra Min S dosage by dosing once every 2 days, and add RV and Colour Elements, that's Zeolight already. I will then be dosing Ultra Bio and half Ultra Bak till they run out, then just stop completely?

5. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    Hi,

Yes, you are almost using the full Zeolight system. Besides RV and CE, you will also be needing Coral Balance to use the full system. You can dose Bio and Bak at 50% until you either run out or just taper your dosages by lessening the dose every week.

Hopefully that answers your question.

6. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    The key is to make the transition as smooth as possible.

youdontknowme likes this.
  7. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Thanks Vinny, this week I've reduced Ultramin S and Ultra Bak dosage by half. I'm still dosing Ultra Bio daily. I will start fitting in Coral Balance and Reef Vitality on Monday and Friday, and Colour Elements on Wednesday and Sunday while maintaining Ultra Min S on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Dosing ultra bak and ultra bio with Ultramin S till they run out. Hopefully thus transition is smooth enough

8. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    I'm back! If I don't want to use the zeo stones in the Zeolight system, can I replace with filter media and Ultrabak for similar effect? Purpose of the stones is to remove ammonia via ion exchange. If I add more filter media for bacteria to colonize and add Ultrabak as a carbon source, it would increase the ammonia removal capacity of my tank via bacteria for the same result?

I've added 24 litres of Matrix and 2 Marinepure blocks for this purpose and am now wondering if carbon dosing would help replace the zeo stones.

9. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    The Zeolite media will help with NH3 and NH4 removal. More importantly, it will eliminate unwanted metals from the water and provide bacteria with a place to colonize.

If you go with another similar media, Ultra Bak won't be required. The Marinepure blocks should have enough surface area to support enough bacteria.

10. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Hi Vinny, just to make sure I understood you correctly, with the MarinePure blocks, I can just run the rest of the Zeolight system without the zeo stones and achieve similar results, and I don't need additional carbon dosing?

11. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    As long as you continue using the rest of the products that make up the Zeolight system, you will see similar results.

12. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Hi Vinny, if instead of totally removing the zeo stones, I run them in a fluidized reactor mixed with Ultra Carb and replace the mix every 4 weeks without using a zeolight reactor and pumping every 2 days? Would that work instead of totally removing the zeo stones from the system? I am still using the matrix and siporax

13. Vinny@Fauna Marin

Vinny@Fauna Marin
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

67%
    Hi,

The key is to shake up the Zeolight media every 2 days to prevent the zeolite pores from getting clogged up by detritus. You will also want to have enough flow passing through the reactor.

Having it mixed in with Ultra Carb may not work due to both having different flow requirements.

14. illumnae

illumnae
    Expand Collapse
    Evansi Anthias

62%
    Thanks Vinny, in that case I'll just use MarinePure blocks and Seachem matrix to replace the zeolight as you advised previously. I find it too troublesome to shake every 2 days

15. Bujje

Bujje
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

0%
    Vinny! You (the FM zeolight manual) state that the zeolith stones should have a "constant but light flow-through". What exactly does that translate to? Any more specific recommendations regarding flow-through?

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 1)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.