1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Help? Sexy Shrimp eating my torch?

Discussion in 'LPS Keepers' started by Ken, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. Ken

Ken
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

39%
    My tank is about a month old. I have 6 sexy shrimps in my tank, together with 2 clowns and a starfish. they were added about a week ago and all has been fine till earlier today when i noticed that the torch coral had a small portion that was missing. The bits that are missing is where 3 sexy shrimps are usually seen hiding (as seen in first picture - shrimp caught in act?)

There is no brown slime observed at all and on the other side of the coral, there are new tentacles that are growing. I have now shifted the torch away from the live rocks to a new location (second picture)

The shrimp hasn't been eating much pellets, as it is difficult to spot feed them due to the many hiding spots that are present in tank. IMG_2116.JPG sexy shrimp hangs out at area where coral seems "eaten"
    IMG_2121.JPG
    photo taken of torch after being shifted on "eaten" side
    IMG_2127.JPG
    Photo taken on other side of torch (new tentacles growing at the bottom).

I have heard of shrimps eating LPS when they are hungry. Please let me know if this is indeed the case, or there are parasites feeding on the torch?

2. Arreef

Arreef
    Expand Collapse
    Flame Hawk

76%
    I doubt they are, had a cleaner shrimp behave the same way previously and it was just eating dead tissue

reefing from pasir ris

3. sherilyn91

sherilyn91
    Expand Collapse
    Achilles Tang

26%
    They do not feed on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ken

Ken
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

39%
    Hi all and thank you both for your replies. I'm somewhat relieved that its not the shrimps eating it. But now the bigger worry is what is eating it =/

It could also be bleached due to temp fluctuation? The cooler fan was left off and temperature soared to 29 instead of its usual 26.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.