1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Seahorses

Discussion in 'Seahorses & Pipefish' started by Hipporider, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. Hipporider

Hipporider
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

22%
    Hi guys,

So as some of you may already know, Im That seahorse guy. And as always, i am ready to render help to all who wish to venture on the wondrous and ever exciting journey of keeping seahorses. I am no self-proclaimed expert in rearing seahorses in the home aquaria, just a person who has dedicated much of my reefing hobby to keeping and now breeding these amazing creatures.

So in this respect, i wish to kick start this thread that will be dedicated to all queries and sharing related to seahorses. Examples of the kind of posts that we can see here would include tank setups dedicated to seahorses, sighting of seahorses at local fish stores ( a pretty rare occurrence IMO ), questions pertaining to seahorse husbandry as well as related diseases and last but not least, Breeding :) .

Last but not least, do not be disheartened by the general perception that seahorse keeping is very challenging and only to be undertaken by experts. If your effort is as monumental as the task ahead, you will reap the fruits. With proper guidance and good effort, i believe that seahorses will thrive in your care.

jimmylim likes this.
  2. andtsg

andtsg
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias

60%
    One noob qiestion... will seahorse ever eat pellets...

3. Hipporider

Hipporider
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

22%
    mine can :twirling: I trained them to eat from the tip of my turkey baster. They will eat anything from the tip. I have even tried minced market prawns ( dirtied my water like crazy in the process)

So, i have to suck those soft TDO pellets from the tip and feed. Does it really help in my case? not really. Cuz they will only eat from the tip and no where else. So i have to suck whatever i am feeding into the turkey baster and dangle at their face. Doesnt make a difference if its frozen mysis or pellets in my case.

but ultimately, to answer your question, will seahorse ever eat pellets. Yes. They will. If you train them well.

4. acidjc

acidjc
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

62%
    So nowadays normally where to get Seahorse, don't seem to see them now

Sent from my D2533 using Tapatalk

5. Hipporider

Hipporider
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

22%
    Jireh marine has seahorses as of yesterday.

acidjc likes this.
  6. SantaMonica

SantaMonica
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

44%
    I used to feed mine with a ghost shrimp. First live, then frozen.

I think the ultimate would be a 1000 gal outdoor rooftop macro fuge to breed amphipods, piped into a 12 gal nano seahorse tank. Automatic live feeding.

7. mermaid

mermaid
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

6%
    do seahorses need cold water like we have to buy chillers, what is a good hardy beginner seahorse to keep?

8. Hipporider

Hipporider
    Expand Collapse
    Nudibranch

22%
    hey bro,

Seahorses come in a variety of species. The ones that are more suited for general aquaria are the tropical seahorses. These include H.Kuda and H.Comes (tiger tail seahorse) among others.That said, do not be mistaken by the tropical label as these seahorse would definitely fare better in an aquaria with a chiller install. A temperature of 23 degrees celsius would be optimal for the species mentioned above. However, the resources required to cool an aquarium in a country like Singapore poses quite a challenge. There is a plethora of problems that accompany the husbandry of Seahorses with each increased degree in temperature.

That being said it isn't impossible to rear seahorses successfully in a carefully planned setup with higher temperatures than what is advised above. Do note however, that any temperature above 27 degrees would be fatally dangerous for even the hardiest seahorse. Do pm me for specific advice on seahorse husbandry and setup. I think this post could go on forever because of the complexity involved in rearing these delicate and enchanting creatures. That being said, the rewards are also unparalleled. Cheers!

mermaid and youdontknowme like this.
  9. SantaMonica

SantaMonica
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

44%
    If not a chiller, then maybe a big water algae scrubber, which would have a lot of evaporative cooling.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.