1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

need help with phosphates

Discussion in 'The Reef Chemistry' started by Clement Chen, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    Hi guys I am having a problem bringing phosphates down. Recently I just bought a hanna ultra low phosphate checker and found out that my phosphates is around 0.2ppm which is quite high. My nitrates are around 1-2.5ppm.

I find this strange because I am using AF NP pro and pro bios. As well as running phosphate minus and carbon in a reactor. I also run an ATS which i harvest almost every month as growth is quite slow.

After getting the 0.2ppm reading i changed out my phosphate minus and lower the flow. Have been testing every day and it went down to 0.13ppm. Just tested today and it bounced back up to 0.15ppm.

Just some back ground to my equipments. I run a skimz SN123 skimmer and a marine pure block. Everyday using dosing pump to dose NP pro. Kh is at 7DKH, calcium is at 400.

Thinking of something drastic like using goodbye po4 to get it down... Im not too sure what else to do.

2. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    Have bought another batch of hanna reagent and tested with it. results about the same. could it be the checker got problem?

3. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    sps seems to be fine can see growth and it retains its colours. recently had one milli suddenly rtn. the rest have good polyps extension too.
    I clean the glass every few days and don't see a lot of algae growth on rocks

4. Arreef

Arreef
    Expand Collapse
    Flame Hawk

76%
    I dont believe u should do anything if u are satisfied with the way your tank is now. Anyways if your tank is new it could be the liverocks leaching nutrients

reefing from pasir ris

5. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

8%
    Many ways phosphste can find its way to your tank.

1) water source - rodi resins exhausted
    2) salt - low grade salt especially those that are naturally "evaporated" type
    3) food - all fish food contains some level of phosphate
    4) bioload - the more live stocks you have the more waste it produces n contributes phosphate
    5) bacteria media - some media that uses cement grade to make contains lots of phosphate
    6) live rocks - depending on its extraction location n how it is process can have phosphate seeded in it.
    7) dead rocks - bleached, boiled, vinegar will kill all the living organism trap inside the rocks n form phosphate
    8) fake rocks - again depending on the material used to make it can contain high phosphate
    9) overdosing of carbon source causing bacteria bloom but export is slow, bacteria die off also contribute high phosphate
    10) trace elements - you don't know what is in them. Some may also contains phosphate.

And the list goes on.......only when you know your tank phosphate source, learn to minimize and control the input then only can you have a sustainable colourful sps tank.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

6. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    Are u using hanna phosphorus checker??

Make sure all powder goes into the vial and shaked properly and make sure theres no tiny bubbles on it. All these can lead to high readings as well.

To be the best, Learn from the best

7. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    Have been using di water. 0 Tds with skimz salt. Probably due to leeching from rocks as I recently bleached it. Should I try using goodbye po4 to try reduce first?

8. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    Yup using Hanna phosphorus. Have made sure of all those things

9. SantaMonica

SantaMonica
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

96%
    I think you have a HOG1 scrubber. Is it filling up each week?

10. Clement Chen

Clement Chen
    Expand Collapse
    Common Clownfish

80%
    It does grow. But I find that it also grows on the glass which prevents light from reaching the other parts of it.. So I scrape the glass once a week and harvest once every 2 weeks..

After changing to ultraphos I managed to maintain it at 0.09. Bought continuum phos correx think it's lanthium chloride to try to reduce it further.. Will update on the n results

11. SantaMonica

SantaMonica
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor
    Staff Member Contributor

96%
    You could also slide the HOG sideways.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.