1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on brown sps in low po4 system

Discussion in 'Zeovit® System' started by aquareef123, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.
  1. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    Why my sps brown even when my hanna phosphorus meter is showing less than 0.03ppm and salifert no3 test kit is showing nitrate undetectable?

As and when i dose zeospurr2 the color become lighter and more vibrant for a few days and go back to normal.

This shows that my corals have excess zooxanthellae. But if that is the case why it is not showing up in my po4 and no3 reading?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

9%
    There are many other nutrients that we do not measure. Have you checked your potassium is 400ppm. ?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

3. andtsg

andtsg
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias

74%
    I always believe "high nutrient high light, low nutrient low light". How big and deep is ur tank and what light u using bro?

4. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    James, my potassium is around 400. I even dose fm color elements.

Andtsg, my tank is shallow 20in. I use 8x80w ati t5 running at 6 in above water. Any nearer i see sps going bleached. So my tank is either bleached coral or brown coral. Lolx

5. andtsg

andtsg
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias

74%
    Bro, any way of reducing ur light? Brown sps is the zoox produce too much energy liao.... eat too much...

6. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    Reduce light will reduce brown sps? This is the first time i hear. Is this true?

7. andtsg

andtsg
    Expand Collapse
    Princess Anthias

74%
    _-" u already got brownies in ur tank... what harm trying...

Google sps low nutrient low light, high nutrient high light to understand the logic ah... too long for me to type out here...

8. Hideaki

Hideaki
    Expand Collapse
    Regal Angel

45%
    Cos u are colour blind?
    Lolololol

9. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%

10. Sherman

Sherman
    Expand Collapse
    Gem Tang

73%
    Brown usually is not even light. You brown sps is it under shade or is it near the water surface?
    You running your light at peak all the time or u running a ramp up and down with peak over a few hours a day?
    Like to post a picture of your tank setup for better understanding

11. Jude

Jude
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

8%
    How long is your system at Zero nitrate and phosphate?

12. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    A few months. I won't say zero nitrate and phosphate. The reading from Hanna shows less than 0.03ppm for po4 and salifert undetectable for no3.

13. Jude

Jude
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Clownfish

8%
    I was thinking that it will take some time for the colors to show. Mainly as the SPS used up its remaining energy (which was absorb from the water previously), it will then be force to use the energy from the light. The colors should show by then.
    A few months seems to be sufficient for some results to show.

James72 likes this.
  14. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    That sounds like a logical explanation.

15. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    I have a super brown stag, that is already 4months in my tank now. Only about 2month ago the color is then slowly improving, showing blue/purple.
    All along my nutrient is :
    No3 undetectable
    Po4 0.049ppm

16. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    Ydkm, how can your tank have brown stag? Dont make my toe laugh lah. Hahaha. All your coral all swee swee one.

17. aquareef123

aquareef123
    Expand Collapse
    Blotched Anthias

90%
    For me it seem to take months if not year to color up sps. All it take is one day and the sps can turn to brown. Really depressing

18. youdontknowme

youdontknowme
    Expand Collapse

6%
    Its a gift from a buddy heheh.
    Colored to brown is fast&easy.
    But brown to color is slow&hard.

19. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

9%
    That's the beauty and reason why we keep sps isn't it? If it's too easy everyone will be bored.

I have many sps that I grew from brown to full coloured and the satisfaction you get from it money cant buy. With a discipline approach, you will get there eventually.

Example of my valida Feb 2014 vs current.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 James72, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  20. Tofubox

Tofubox
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

38%
    "A general word about browning of corals. The colour brown is created via the zooxanthellae algae. This is their natural colour. Contrary to popular belief, they are not the colourant of the corals, rather they mask the pigments of the corals. Whether this is a sunscrean or simply a reaction to available nutrients on the part of the coral is unclear. On a reef, the corals are able to control their zooxanthellate populations via nutrient limitation, thus controling their general metabolism and their colour. In an aquarium, corals are generally exposed to too many available nutrients disolved in the water. As the zooxanthellae can simply absorb these disolved nutrients straight from the water column, instead of the coral controlling the process, they have a population explosion. This is what we see as browning-out of a coral. An overpopulation of zooxanthellae in the coral's tissues.

Essentially, if we are able to keep the basic nutrients, such as PO4 and NO3, as a close to NSW level, the corals are able to once again take control of their metabolism and the zooxanthellate population is limited by the coral. What we often forget is that there are other nutrients that the algae can use and we are dosing these nutrients in a perfect form to brown-out the corals. Amino acids, vitamin complexes, marine snow, etc. are all nutrients that will brown corals, if they are present in too high a quantity.

When faced with browning corals, one needs to assess the complete picture and understand from where these nutrients are coming. Low PO4 and NO3 levels are fine, but bring little, if we over supplement with other nutrient-rich products. A case of less is more.

Therefore, if your corals are turning brown, and your PO4 is 0.02 and the NO3 <2ppm, then there is another nutrient source in play. Cut your dosing of AAs, etc. in half and give it a few weeks to see how the corals react. You certainly won't starve them, but you may start to starve out the zooxanthellae and thus see the corals true colours."

Tidal Reef likes this.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 100 days old.