1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention all new members, your account has to be validated via email before you have posting privileges. Do note that, the validation email may end up in your spam, junk or trash folders.
    Dismiss Notice

RTN and all its possible causes

Discussion in 'SPS Keepers' started by chriscoral, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chriscoral

chriscoral
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

46%
    Hi hobbyists.
    My tank is 18mths old. But up to 4yrs old if u count the previous tanks it was upgraded from.
    Everything has been running well, with good growth and most of the corals colouring up.
    But this week, I noticed RTN on one of the oldest SPS (acro) colonies, plus another mini colony (acro) elsewhere in the tank.
    The only variable during this time was the usage of cheap coral chips in my CR, instead of proprietary product.
    A sifu reefer suggested it might be pH swing. So I went and bought a probe (I've not checked pH all these years).
    As I suspected, it was not pH, which was within acceptable levels and stable through the day.
    Madpetz suggested it might be "old tank syndrome". So I cleaned the sump (as much as possible without ripping it apart) and did a major WC.
    The RTN did not stop. The mini colony is all white and dead now. But I managed to save the bigger older one by fragging.
    The first sifu then suggested it might be the Fauna Marin salt which I'm using. Apparently a couple of other reefers using this salt have experienced inexplicable RTN/STN too.
    What do you all think?
    If salt is the problem, then it's very worrying because this is the most expensive salt on the market and many have used it with good success.
    I've also read that RTN can be caused by bacteria or virus. And also sometimes colonies die because of competition from other corals in the tank. (I've had a reverse sunset monti die on me after a period of good growth. Then it grew back with a vengeance from a sliver that remained.)
    According to all literature, RTN/STN are still very much a mystery.
    Would be good for reefers - esp the old birds - to share their thoughts here.

2. Sherman

Sherman
    Expand Collapse
    Gem Tang

63%
    Causes are many.
    Include swing in parameter like PH and KH And Temperature.
    Bacteria and virus do contribute to rtn and stn. Too low nutrients over a long period
    of time can cause rtn too.
    And high heavy metal is another cobtributor
    Best do a ICP test to get a clearer picture

James72 likes this.
  3. chriscoral

chriscoral
    Expand Collapse
    Royal Gramma

46%
    How do i go about doing that ICP test, and how much does it cost?

4. James72

James72
    Expand Collapse
    Clarion Angelfish

9%
    Go to Reefing reality. $55

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

chriscoral likes this.